22.214.171.124 TAR Features
The TAR text to speech engine that is included in the prototype is DECTalk from Digital Equipment Corporation. Currently both IBM and Microsoft have beta versions of their text to speech synthesizers. The TAR design can accommodate any of these. Final versions from all developers will be evaluated in conjunction with CHART II personnel prior to incorporation into the system. The delivered prototype has the following features:
- System uses DECTalk text to speech synthesizer to convert ASCII text messages to audible output.
- Edit message dialog allows the user to type in the content of a message to be played on the TAR and review that message before sending it.
- System wide message header and trailer are automatically appended to message.
- User with correct privileges may override the header and trailer for a particular sign, or may alter the header and trailer messages for the entire system.
- Messages may be created and stored in message libraries. These library messages may then be sent to one or more TARs by dragging the message to the desired devices.